2022 Legal Project Management Roundtable Meeting Dates
July 2022 Meetings
July 26th | 9:00 am EST US and 2:00 PM BST UK
July 27th (28th) | 7:00 pm EST US and 9:00 am AEST AUS
October 2022 Meetings
Please Note if Hybrid: we are trying to host an in-person meeting in October. The in-person meeting will take place on October 19th and be an all-day event with remote access for those who cannot attend in person. The US & Australia meeting would be held on the 26th.
If Virtual Only
October 25th | 5:00 pm EST US and 9:00 am AEST AUS
October 26th (27th) | 5:00 pm EST US and 9:00 am AEST AUS
Legal Pricing Roundtable Member Portal
Meeting Registrations and Previous Meeting Recordings and Documents
Legal Pricing Roundtable Overview
Over the last few years, law firms’ attitudes towards pricing have changed. What was previously seen as an administrative process, is now being seen as a strategic issue of high-level importance to management. With an increasingly competitive market, and with increasingly demanding clients, pricing is seen as an important lever to ensure firms win sufficient work, while also ensuring the work is profitable.
As a result of the change in attitudes, firms have implemented new roles (e.g. pricing directors), new committees (e.g. pricing committees), and new processes (e.g. budgeting tools, approval processes) with the goal of improving pricing performance. It’s clear that different firms have taken different approaches to realize pricing improvements. While most firms believe they are making gains, those responsible for pricing are often left
wondering, “What else should we be doing”? It is recognized that small changes in pricing can have a big impact on a firm’s bottom line. But with so many opportunities to improve a firm’s pricing, which opportunities should be prioritized and how can they be successfully implemented?
Like any new role or function, pricing in a law firm is fraught with challenges. With few precedents, those leading pricing initiatives are searching for resources and peers to help them thrive in this emerging area. In our work with executives responsible for pricing within law firms, several have expressed an interest in organizing a Roundtable where they could meet and share ideas, information and best practices at a senior, experienced level, as well as continue their own professional development and enhance the visibility and functioning of these roles. In response, we have decided to organize a new Legal Pricing Roundtable for medium and large firms.
The goal of the Roundtable is to bring together individuals responsible for pricing, to share ideas and experiences; participate in interactive presentations led by guest speakers; and, discuss the “best practices” that their firms are implementing. The Roundtable aims to develop leaders in this emerging market and assist participants to deliver value to their firms. The Roundtable aims to assist participants in understanding the activities undertaken by others leading pricing as they seek to add value to their firms and to enhance their skills and challenge the boundaries of the role. All discussions are confidential to the Roundtable members.
The Roundtable meets twice a year, currently with both meetings in New York due to the preference of a majority of members.
The meeting location may change as guided by the members and will be hosted by a member firm. Topics that have been suggested for upcoming meetings include:
- Identifying opportunities to improve pricing outcomes
- Which pricing initiatives are getting results?
- Measuring the success of pricing programs
- Skills and capabilities needed to lead pricing initiatives within law firms
- The roles played by Pricing Directors in different firms
- The role of firm leaders, executive committee, practice group leaders and pricing committee
- Roles of partners in developing, negotiating and approving pricing arrangements
- What competencies do partners need in this area?
- Finding the balance of consistent pricing across the firm while enabling flexibility
- Tools firms are using to assist with pricing, costing, and budgeting.
- The intersection/relationship with other firm roles – practice management, legal project management, business development, etc.
- Capturing a fair share of the value created
- Improving the quality of pricing conversations with clients
LawVision has established and led roundtables and boardrooms for law firm professionals for more than a decade. Our members appreciate participating in these roundtables because they have the opportunity to come together and share with individuals in similar positions from other firms about what’s working and not working in the pricing arena. Between meetings, members can communicate using our private LinkedIn page. Members also select the topics for guest speakers and content is tailored to the pricing directors’ needs. Further, members have the opportunity to gain insight from Colin Jasper of Positive Pricing, who is a global pricing expert, and LawVision consultants who have decades of expertise in law firm management and have worked with many of the largest law firms in North America.
Roundtable Member Benefits
The Legal Pricing Roundtable members receive a host of benefits including:
- Opportunity to learn from and share with other senior professionals in a similar role
- Opportunity to attend the two meetings each year
- A small group format fosters candid discussions and networking.
- 20-percent discount on all open programs offered by LawVision
- 20-percent discount on Law Firm Partnership and Benefits Report (published by ALM)
- 10-percent discount for individual members at prestigious Law Firm Leaders Conference.
- Access to proprietary and relevant research.
All meetings will be designed to include facilitated conversations based on topics suggested by the members. The in-person meetings will include a professional development segment to be presented by a well-known authority on relevant topics for the members’ roles. Time will also be built-in for roundtable sharing among members on issues identified to be of specific interest by the members. The Roundtable meetings will be one day with an opportunity to interact with the members either the evening before or after the meeting (in conjunction with the members of the Legal Project Management Roundtable). The Roundtable is intended to be a session of peers involved in legal pricing issues in major law firms.
The membership fee is $2,500 per annum, billed upon acceptance of membership and thereafter annually in December of each year. Membership also includes all meals at the meetings (breakfast and lunch). Up to two people may attend per firm.
Roundtable Founders / Facilitators
- Stuart Dodds | Director | Positive Pricing | email@example.com
- Colin Jasper | Director | Positive Pricing | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Susan Raridon Lambreth | Principal | LawVision | email@example.com
To Sign Up